May 16, 2010

Cannery Row -- A Kris Perspective

Doc's character was so endearing to me. Ordering a beer milkshake (in a town where no one would ever know...what a rebel).

Party #1 broke my heart. The flophouse boys tried so hard to do something nice. And after the disastrous party closed with stained floors, broken records, and drunken men, their reputations were tarnished (even more) for being irresponsible and careless -- despite their pure intentions! Couldn't you just see each frog jump out to their freedom. One. by. one.

After Doc returned and confronted Mack, Doc reveals how much he understands of the flophouse boys (and also how they see themselves).
-"We'll pay for it, Doc."
-"No you won't Mack...you'll think about it and it'll worry you for quite a long time, but you won't pay for it. There's maybe three hundred dollars in broken museum glass. Don't say you'll pay for it. That will just keep you uneasy. It might be two or three years before you forgot aboiut it and felt entirely easy again. And you wouldn't pay it anyway."
-"I guess you're right...I know you're right. What can we do?"
-"I'm over it...let's forget it."

Later we find out that he's not "over it" when he doesn't even trust them enough to share his true birthday.

The truth is, even if he wasn't over it, he acted like it. And sometimes that's enough, right? After acting like you're over it, soon enough you find yourself... over it.

Doc was modeled after Steinbeck's friend Ed Ricketts, a local marine biologist (rumor has it they were also buddies with Joseph Campbell -- now there's an interesting trio...). Apparently Steinbeck supported Rickett's scientific endeavors and learned a thing or two about marine biology from him. (On a side note, is it just me or does Rickett's look a heck of a lot like Robert Downey Jr.?)

Anyway, what a friend Ed must have been to be cast in such a generous light. I think Doc had flaws but he seemed to be trying the hardest to make use of his time whether it was searching for jellyfish or tirelessly tending the sick.

So, where were Doc's flaws? All of the other characters' shortcomings were painfully evident, but Doc was quick to forgive, held his tongue, and expected people to be sleeping in his bed when he returned from a trip.

Where were Doc's flaws? Let's talk about that on Tuesday.

2 comments:

Meredith said...

Ooooh, LOVE this! Great thoughts Kris :) Can't wait for the discussion. By the way, if you're interested in Doc/Ed Ricketts, apparently Steinbeck's non-fiction book The Log from the Sea of Cortez is THE book to read...or so I've heard.

Meredith said...

So, I ate at a restaurant called The Monterey Canning Co. in Oceanside last week and it reminded me how much I enjoyed this book. I still keep meaning to respond to your question about Doc's flaws. I think while reading I was somewhat under the impression that he was kind of a womanizer...Is that a flaw? I also found this you might like:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1252560