September 17, 2010

Movie vs. Book

This picture has nothing to do with the post, I just saw it and laughed so I had to share :)

I'm watching the movie right now so before any analysis I'm just going to write down comments and things I notice while I"m watching it.

-It moves really quickly, I feel like the first day was eternally long in the book and in the movie it lasts 15 seconds.
-I'm just going to say it, I hate Scarlett Johansen. --she's pouty and always plays such a sexual character. I just hate her. She's a mouth breather too.
-I forgot the love interest was the creepy dude from Batman. He totally grosses me out, he's SO scary looking! Yeah--- I hate him too.

Quick Analysis:

During the book I felt Griet would explode from her sexual desires for Vermeer. Their relationship is so awkward and stunted --I think (like most men of that time) he was a very sensual being, but it was just a way of life for him, when they touch it looks like Griet is about to pounce on him, but for him, its not a big deal. The movie made Vermeer 's relationship with his wife seem a lot healthier (at first), if anything it existed more in the movie than in the book. And seriously, 11 kids, this guy enjoyed being intimate with his wife (geez!)

Are there some relationships that only certain people can understand or fulfill? What I mean is the relationship between Griet and Vermeer fulfilled some need he had, a void in his relationship with his wife. Spouses fulfill many of our emotional, mental, physical, etc. needs, but are there some that only, for example, a girl friend can satiate? Or a mother or a sister? The painter and his muse is a classic relationship but I wonder if it had to be sexual. Why can't someone just be inspired by another and not flinch at their touch or stare at them.

Did Mrs. Vermeer have reason to be so upset? Was her husband unfaithful in a way worse than physical infidelity? Or did she overreact at the level of intimacy he sought out from another.

After reading the book I see now all the sexual undertones in the movie and to be honest, I think its too much. It was a little overdone I think.

Put your feminist glasses on, what do you see?

No comments: