I have to admit that I am taking my sweet time with this book. Not because I'm not enjoying it (it's Elder Maxwell, which means it's incredible and inspires some seriously deep thought), but probably a) because it gives me a LOT to think about; and b) because I typically find myself just starting to read at about 11pm at night and well, all this contemplating the universe and omniscience, etc...anyway, it's a wonderful prelude to a great night of sleep.
I love Elder Maxwell's distinct writing style. It is so thought provoking. He has a way of making me re-read what he says in order to really think about what he is saying. I ran across this quote from President Hinckley (from the eulogy he gave at Elder Maxwell's funeral):
I know of no other man who spoke in such an interesting and distinct manner. His genius was the product of diligence. He was a perfectionist determined to exact from every phrase and sentence vivid imagery that brought the gospel to life. Each talk was a masterpiece, each book was a work of art. I think we shall not see one like him again.
The other night I was reading about the veil and I loved this section:
However, there are poignant reminders of the veil even now, adding to our sense of being close but still outside. In our deepest prayers, when the agency of man encounters the omniscience of God, we sometimes sense how provincial our petitions really are. We perceive there are more good answers than we have good questions, and that we have been taught more than we can tell, for the language used is not which tongue can transmit.(I love that about being "taught more than we can tell". There is a lot for discussion in that little paragraph, but he continues...)
We experience this same close separateness when a baby is born, and also as we wait with those who are dying -- for then we brush against the veil, as goodbyes and greetings are said almost within earshot of each other. In such moments, this resonance with realities on the other side of the veil is so real that it can be explained in only one way.
Such beautiful, poignant, huge moments that words cannot do justice.
Here's where you've probably figured out that I'm only on about page 10! (ok, maybe page 12 depending on which edition you have.) Haha, but I have really savored those 10 pages and look forward to perhaps finding a different time of day to read AND finishing this book soon! (And, of course, learning a lot from Elder Maxwell's wise words along the way! Remind me to tell you about when he spoke while I was in the MTC.)
When will we be meeting next?
No comments:
Post a Comment