I couldn't get it down to five. I couldn't even get it down to ten. So, eleven will have to do. Cutting out one of these books would have been like cutting off one of my own toes. Only...I don't have eleven toes...so, um, anyway...
I figure the more books I list, the greater the likeliness one of you will have one of them on your list too, right?? Here you go (in no particular order):
-Out of Africa by Isak Dinesen (My mom really likes this book and I love the movie.)
-The English Patient by Michael Odjaante (I've heard this is really good.)
-The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro (I adore this film! Great story.)
-Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (I think I've seen almost every film version of this book and liked all of them. Therefore, the book must be great. And, it is burning a hole in my bookshelf.)
-John Adams by David McCullough (The author signed my copy. I would be embarrassed to tell him I didn't read it.)
-The Infinite Atonement by Elder Tad R. Callister (I've heard that this book is great, plus I like the idea of having a church book on our list.)
-Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy (I have lost track of how many people have told me this is their favorite book.)
Books I have read (and would happily read again) that I'm pretty sure you would all enjoy:
-The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas (I could not put this down.)
-The Pacific and Other Stories by Mark Helprin (This is a collection of short stories. I know we already read a book by Helprin, but this has some of the most moving and beautiful stories I have ever read. If we don't read it for book club will you please promise me that sometime in your life you will read it?)
-A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens (One of the best endings ever!)
-Marie Antoinette: The Journey by Antonia Fraser (Absolutely fascinating biography! Not boring! Royalty is SO weird...in a fascinating way.)
Ok, so this list is long and so are most of the books on it! If you really want me to cut down, I will.
(Photo via Lipsticktracez)
No comments:
Post a Comment