I have a couple of thoughts --while I have 20 seconds to actually think.
What did you think about "vengeance is mine and I will repay" as a theme for the book? I wasn't sure it quite fit as an overarching theme, mostly just from Anna's perspective. I was thinking of song lyrics or cliches that could fit the overarching theme and came up with the following: you can't always get what you want (a la Rolling Stones), the grass is always greener, keeping up with the Jones', some women go straight KA-RAZZZY ( my own new cliche).
I kept picturing this story in a modern day setting. It s sad how universal the adultery/lovers gone wrong story is!
Anna's efforts to poison her own relationship and her own happiness was probably the most intriguing to me. Do I do this? When things are great do I find something to exploit? I wonder. Just a few minutes ago even I was ticked that I was doing the dishes and Dan was watching a youtube video his brother sent him. Even though it may not be to the "Anna extreme" it is still worth pondering how we see our own relationships, how our perception of things often becomes a reality (and how others around often have no idea what's really going on).
It was so interesting how Dolly almost idolized Anna and her lifestyle, wanting so much to run away with someone, anyone, who would have her. It was a stark contrast to what Anna was actually feeling; going mad in that house, not able to socialize as she had before, and overdosing on sleep medication.
What was the turning point in Anna and Vronsky's relationship? Couldn't you just picture him getting so annoyed with her constant nagging and need for attention? I could see things from her perspective (so much harder for a woman in that situation than a man) but after a while I wanted to say COME ON ALREADY ANNA -- ITS FINE -- RELAX. It was like listening to a Dashboard Confessional song (torturous and ridiculous!)
I remember a movie ad a few years ago that had the caption "sooner or later a man with two faces forgets which one is real" I think about that a lot. If you think something enough it becomes real to you, whether its real or not. I see this as Anna's downfall. She let her imagination run wild and it went-a-running.
Its amazing to me how we can start to exercize little ideas and before we know it they become enormous. Think of how the affair started: justification, justification, justification. It was OK since her husband didn't love her, it was OK because she deserved attention, it was OK because he was closer to her age, or because of his position, etc etc. That path is paved with tiny footsteps! It was almost scary to me how real it was to read the unraveling of a marriage. It happened so quickly and so seamlessly.
Just have to give a shout out to Levin and Kitty. Their story warmed my heart and still does.
Thats all for now. Baby crying.
1 comment:
It was worth every single one of those 800+ pages! (Actually, once I had finished I realized it could not possibly have been any shorter!)
Post a Comment