May 21, 2012

A Moveable Feast

Every so often I think of this painting, and it kinda haunts me.   I think "do I think I'm invincible? do I really realize that every single life has an expiry date?"  Not to be a downer, but i kept thinking of this painting while reading A Moveable Feast.  They were all in Paris, living the dream (well...at least most of the time) and little did they know their lives all had a quickly approaching expiry date.


You may remember from Humanities 101 this painting by Poussin titled Et In Arcadia Ego. I shows three young greek shepherds (I see them as the twenty-something frat boy type) realizing that someone who once lived in Arcadia died ... death actually does exist in their perfect dream land.

Duh, right?

right?  Sometimes I think I wander around life aimlessly as if I had all the time in the world, when really, I don't.  A Moveable Feast left me thinking a lot about life and mortality and what it would be like to look back on my own life as a 60 year old.  What would I write about?  What would I think about who I am today?

So, to end on a happy note, cherish each day! :) :)  haha.  OK seriously though, food for thought: Et in Arcadia Ego...



oh, and Meredith, you have full permission to correct any painting interpretation errors I've made!

No comments: