January 23, 2013

a few more gems

"Professor Godbole's conversations frequently culminated in a cow."

"shall we go and pour water onto Mohammed Latif's face? He is so funny when this is done to him in sleep."

1 comment:

Meredith said...

Professor Godbole is such a great character. The actor in the movie does a perfect job (Alec Guinness, a.k.a Obi Wan Kenobi, ha).

I literally laughed out loud when I got to that part about pouring water on the face. :)

One thing I keep wondering about while reading this book is what was the initial reaction upon its publication? It's not like he wrote this 50 years after all of this was going on. To my surprise, I read that A Passage to India was immediately acclaimed as a masterpiece (I guess I expected a more critical response since many of the British magistrates in the story are portrayed as insensitive, oblivious, or negligent). But, what is also so impressive to me about Forster's writing is his ability to see more than one side of an argument. It's so interesting that this story is relatively simple, but yet it's symbolic in a way that tackles huge issues.