I was alone on Valentine's day. What did I do? I ate pizza and watched Jane Eyre.
I was thinking about how we idolize her as an independent woman who had the courage to stand up for what she knew was right, even when she was SO tempted to just stay with the man she loved.
So after her journey to the long lost cousins place, finding herself etc etc, she still goes back.
Do you think that makes her strong and nullifies all her previous conviction because she went back to his house, not knowing his wife had died? What were her intentions? Maybe she just "knew" because their souls were so deeply intertwined (oooooh Charlotte)
Anyway, I know its strange but its kinda been bugging me for a few days and I wanted to know your thoughts on it, oh wise friends.
1 comment:
I've been meaning to respond. I just don't know if I have a good response! I totally understand what you are saying. Did Jane give in by going back, not knowing that Rochester's wife had died? Was she ultimately just dependent on him? Or, did she know by some mysterious force that all would be well? Great questions.
I'm actually kind of considering Jane as a heroine. Was she a heroine, or did she just meet the expectations of her time? I adore this book and I think she is an amazing character. But, didn't she just do what was clearly right when faced with a choice? Is that what makes someone a hero? Or does it take something beyond this? Should we expect the best of people/characters, or be pleasantly surprised when they do what we consider to be right? Hm. Thoughts?
Anyway, I just love the Brontë sisters and would love to read another of their books together sometime!
Post a Comment