As you probably know, I love Charles Dickens and I am so excited about this little upcoming event called:
That's right. Next year is the bicentenary celebration of Charles Dickens (i.e. his 200th birthday). There's even a cool website all about the festivities. His exact date of birth is February 7. I may be jumping the gun here since I know most of us are probably still reading The Great Gatsby, but I have been thinking since it just so happens that our next book is A Tale of Two Cities, it would be fun to try to finish by that date. It's one of his shortest books (and perhaps one of the greatest endings of all time, at least that's what I thought when I read it in high school...I'm anxious to see if I still agree with my high school self!) and I think we could do it. Yay? Nay?
Speaking of Dickens, this would be a fun little collection to have, don't you think?
PS: As a word of caution, if you do watch the film version of A Tale of Two Cities (1980-something), I would suggest waiting to watch it until after you've read the book. It has the guy who plays Prince Humperdinck from The Princess Bride in it and it is impossible to take him seriously.
No comments:
Post a Comment