February 24, 2010

Mer's Cookbook Selection

The Essential Mediterranean: How Regional Cooks Transform Key Ingredients into the World's Favorite Cuisines 

By Nancy Harmon Jenkins

After perusing a large stack of Mediterranean cookbooks, I settled on this one.  It is full of writing (no pictures actually), so I'm hoping to learn a lot.  One thing I noticed about virtually every single Mediterranean cookbook I looked through is that they tend to focus on the core ingredients of the area, rather than techniques.

One thing I really liked about this particular cookbook is that the author focuses on ingredients common to the diverse cuisines of the entire Mediterranean region: salt, wine/vinegar, pasta/couscous, bread, olive oil, legumes, peppers/tomatoes, cheese/yogurt, and the resources of the sea.  It looks like she also examines how/why these ingredients are obtained, what determines their quality, and where they fit in local cuisines.

I'm really excited to get cooking and report back on the recipe results!

No comments: