March 13, 2010

On Second Thought...

I switched cookbooks.  The Essential Mediterranean had fabulous informative text sections.  I learned a lot while reading through it.  It really is so fascinating to me that so many different countries/cultures in the Mediterranean can cook with the same ingredients and come up with so many different and unique dishes.  However, when it came to the actual recipes in this cookbook, well, how can I explain?  You know how when you're in a foreign country and you go to a restaurant and you look over the menu...typically there are items that anyone would order (tourists, locals, kids, etc.) and then often there are those kinda bizarre locals-only items.  Well, this cookbook just happened to be FULL of that kind of recipe...just off enough that if I was actually in the Mediterranean I probably would have given it a try, but they were also just complicated enough and had just enough ingredients that aren't on my usual grocery list that I didn't really want to make them.  Let's just say it wasn't your usual weeknight fare!  Plus, I figured since I'd be sharing the recipes with you, I wanted to pick those that might interest others as well!

So, without further ado...here's the new cookbook selection:


It was only after I started reading it that I realized that all of the recipes were VEGETARIAN (duh, I should have read the cover).  Oops--sorry Hil.  I know you are also doing vegetarian cuisine.  The truth is that Mediterranean cuisine is full of fabulous vegetarian dishes, any of which could easily be dressed up with a little meat or seafood, if desired.  The things I love most about Mediterranean food is that it has fabulously intense flavors and it is inherently healthy.  (Not to mention the fact that the Mediterranean has to be one of the most beautiful regions on the planet!)

Anyway, I've read through most of this cookbook and am getting started on my cooking.  The thing I really like about this cookbook is that the recipes are flavorful, easy to follow, mostly include ingredients on my normal shopping list (and if not I could still find them at the regular grocery store), and simple enough for busy weeknights!  Oh, and one really cool thing is that the author lists the country of origin for each recipe and tells a little about the history and culture.

Ok, time for someone else to write on this blog!  :)

No comments: